A work-appropriate look you can get excited about.
Welcome to shoe euphoria! I think I’ve found a perfect pointy toe flat: the VC Signature Carrie Flat in Port Snakeskin. I am very excited about the combination of deep purple snakeskin and a gold toe cap – but it’s even more exciting to learn that the picture does not do this shoe justice. A Nordstrom customer, who wrote an extremely helpful and glowing review, shares that in person the purple is “tastefully contrasted with a few streaks of teal green.” So rich, and so perfect for the fall! The VC Signature Carrie Flat is available from Nordstrom in Port Snakeskin and Black Snakeskin for $195. The Carrie Flat is also available in Port/Rouge Snakeskin (shown below) from Shop the Shoebox for $195.
And now, a brief ode to the pointy toe flat:
A pointy toe flat looks narrow and sleek.
No other shoe is so comfortable – and so chic.
A pointy toe makes any flat look more formal.
It also make your legs look longer – than normal.
(And by the way, I’ve identified daily readings of Bread and Jam for Frances with my daughter as the likely source of my newfound desire to write poetry about footwear.)
And now, a visual ode to the pointy toe flat:
And finally, some Commandress Style Rules about how to wear pointy toe flats:
- Don’t buy a pointy toe flat (or any other shoe!) that is too tight. You do not have to cram your feet into a well-designed pointy toe. The point should extend well beyond the tips of your toes.
- Err on the side of getting your shoes too big so they do not squeeze your toes. You can add Foot Petals (or something similar) if the shoe feels too big once you’ve worn it.
- Yes, a pointy toe flat can look frumpy with the wrong pants or skirt. The deciding factor is almost always the length of your hem.
- What hem length is never flattering? A hem that ends at the widest part of your calves. Your hem should be above or below this spot.
- Narrow pants (like cigarette pants or skinny jeans) generally look great with pointy toe flats as long as the length of the pants is flattering for you (i.e., the hem is above or below the widest part of your calves).
- For wider-leg pants/trousers, you should have at least one pair hemmed for heels and at least one pair hemmed for flats. Bring your heels and flats with you to the tailor when you are getting your pants hemmed.
- And for skirts, a pointy toe flat looks best with a skirt that ends at or above your knee. Mid-calf skirts generally do not play well with flats. Both the skirt featured here and the dress featured here would look great with a pointy toe flat.
- Two golden rules: (1) The shorter the skirt, the lower the heel; and (2) The longer the skirt, the higher the heel.
8/24/12: This post was updated to include Amazon in the affiliates disclosure.
9/27/12: This post was updated to improve formatting and replace Endless affiliate links with links to other retailers. (You’ll be missed, Endless!) The DV by Dolce Vita Cairo Flat is no longer available.